History Of Mandya District
Mandya District is an administrative district of Karnataka, India. Mandya District borders on the south by Mysore District, on the west by Hassan District, on the north by Tumkur District and on the east by Ramanagara
district. The district was formed in the year 1939.The main town is in Mandya District is Mandya.
Mandya district gets its name from the city of Mandya which is also the headquarters of the district. Legend has it that the name Mandya may have originated from the popular belief that Mandavya - a holy man, much
revered lived in the area in ancient times. Mandya's history is closely related to the history of the old Mysore State, which included the present district of Mandya and areas around the Cauvery Basin. Ruled successively
by the kings of the Ganga dynasty and then the Cholas and the Hoysalas, the area was annexed by the rulers of Vijayanagara in 1346. After the cruel battle of 1565 When the Vijayanagara king was defeated by the
combined power of the Sultans of the Deccan, the Vijayanagara Empire began to lose its power and extent. The Wodeyars of Mysore gradually grew in importance. Before long, they had established their own rule over
a large part of South India which included all of old Mysore, parts of the present Tamil Nadu and the districts of Dakshina Kannada and Dharwar, with Srirangapatna as their capital.The power of the Wodeyars was
more or less unchallenged till 1761 when Hyder Ali, one of their generals rose to great strength and overcame them. Between then and 1799 when Hyder's son Tipu was defeated by the British, the area was under
constant crossfire.Finally on 30 June 1 799, Krishnaraja Wodeyar Ill, a descendant of the ancient royal house was placed on the throne o Mysore by the British while Srirangapatna became the property of the victorious
East India Company. The dynastic rule of Wodeyars thereafter ended only with the establishment of democracy in free India. The district of Mandya itself constituted in 1939 as an administrative unit with seven taluks
has remained unchanged to this day.The district covers an area of about 4850.8 square kilometers, about 1140th of the area of the whole state. The area is plain except for a few outcrops of rocks that stand out as
ridges and an extension of the Biligirirangana range of mountains in the southeast. Perhaps among Mandya's greatest assets are its four rivers, the Cauvery, Hemavati, lokapavani and Shimsha that give the district
both religious importance and scenic beauty.
Mandya district divided into 7 talukas, they are : Mandya, Malavalli, Maddur, Nagamangala, Krishnarajpet, Pandavapura, Srirangapatna
The importance of the district's headquarters town, Mandya, grew with the establishment, in January 1933, of the Mandya Sugar Factory with an authorized capital of Rs. 20 lakhs - a great amount those days.
Predictably the sugar factory is now one of the biggest in India.Mandya town also contains the stately Janardhanaswami temple whose principal deity holding the traditional Shanka and Chakra i5 flanked by Sridevi and
Bhudevi on either side.
Maddur, 21 km from Mandya claims legendary importance because it was originally known as Arjunapura after the Pandava Prince who is believed to have come here on pilgrimage. In more recent authenticated
history, the town suffered heavily during Tipu's wars with the British. Maddur fort, in fact, which had been fortified by Hyder, was dismantled by Lord Cornwallis in 1791.Maddur's marvelous Varadaraja temple is an early
Chola or pre-Chola structure. Its 1 2 ft high Alialanatha deity is elaborately carved both in front and on the back with unusual features which has led to the Kannada saying 'Ella devara munde nodu Allalanathana hinde
nodu' - 'All other idols are to be seen from the front but Allalanatha is to be seen from the back'.Maddur, incidentally, is also famous for the Maddur Vadai - a delicious fried snack made of a variety of pulses.
A historic town 37 km from Mandya which was partially destroyed by Tipu himself to prevent its being of use to the British, Malavalli is now an important centre for sericulture - a growing industry in this part of the
State. Malavalli also has a flourishing leather unit.
An important town, even during the days of the Hoysalas, Nagamangala 42, Kms from Mandya has always been known for its metal work and ski I led artisans. It was Thimanna, of Nagamangala, who built the fort at
Srirangapatna. The Saumyakeshava Temple here, probably originally built in the 12th century, has Features that may have been added in the Vijayanagara the temple is so called because it’s principal deity Keshava,
1.83 meter high and beautifully worked, has a particularly benign aspect.Kambadalli, a holy place for the jains, is a village m Nagamangala and gets its name from the Brahmadeva pillar that is situated here.Made of
hard, dark Grey soapstone, this octagonal 'Kamba' has a seated Brahma at its top. Nearby is a cluster of seven granite shrines, built in a uniquely Dravidian style.16 km from Nagamangala, Adi Chunchanagiri is a noted
place of pilgrimage. The two natural cave temples here are dedicated to Siddheswara and Someshwara. The Adi Chunchanagiri Mutt is also located here. The Mutt runs a Medical College here. Nearby is the exotic
Mayura Vana, which throngs with peacocks morning and evening.
Known as the ‘Motherland of Hoysala temples’, the Krishnarajapet taluk in Mandya district has a large number of shrines built during the Hoysala period. Among them, the Lakshminarayana temple is well known for its
sculptural splendour.Situated at Hosaholalu, a tiny village about three kms towards the east of Krishnarajapet, the temple is a fine specimen depicting the glory of Hoysala architecture. It is a trikutachala or a three-
celled temple built on a star-shaped, raised platform. The main temple rises with in the platform leaving a broad terrace around it which serves as the pradakshinapatha.The temple has three sanctorums and a
navaranga or pillared-hall in the middle. The central sanctorum has the idol of Lakshminarayana, the main deity of the temple, while the other sanctorums consist of Lakshminarasimha and utsava idols.In the navaranga
are lathe-turned pillars, where groups of dancing girls with accompaniments in impressive poses adorn their capitals. The ceilings of the navaranga decorated with fine carvings are noteworthy.The outer walls of the
temple are richly ornamented with the friezes of elephants, horses, scrolls, scenes from epics, capricorns, swans and a number of gods and goddesses with their attendants. The scenes from the epics depict stories
from Ramayana, Mahabharata and Bhagavata. The figures of Yoga-Madhava, Dhanvanthri, Dakshinamurthy, dancing Saraswathi, Kalinga-Mardhana, Para-Vasudeva, dancers and musicians are highly appealing to the
eye.The outer walls of the temple are also decorated with aregambas and aregopuras. There is a five-stepped tower over the central sanctorum. The arrangement made over the roof of the temple for rain water
drainage is quite interesting.Harihareshvara and Anjaneya are the other main temples here. While the former one is in a badly dilapidated condition, the Anjaneya temple belonging to the 17th century has a 10-mt-tall
Associated with the Mahabharata, as is obvious from its name and 26 km from Mandya is Pandavapura. It was a military station during Hyder and Tipu's time and housed their French servicemen. It is now important
for its large-scale sugar factory. Earlier, Pandavapura was known as Hirode, Dandu, and French Rocks.the buity stone material chinakurali.
Srirangapatna, 24 km from Mandya has been named after the presiding deity in the Sri Ranganatha Temple here. This ancient temple, according to an inscription was built in 894 by Tirumala, a Ganga king. Once the
capital of the Rajas of Mysore, Srirangapatna was also the seat of government for Hyder and Tipu till the defeat of Tipu in 1799 and the shifting of the Wodeyar capital to Mysore. The famous fort of Srirangapatna in
fact was so formidable that a military visitor in 1880 pronounced it the second strongest in India. The fort protected on the north and west by the river Cauvery has within its walls, the remains of lal Mahal, Tipu's
palace, the larger part of which was demolished by the British after capture of the fort in 1 799. The fort also contains seven outlets and a couple of dungeons - a characteristic feature in Tipu's military buildings.Nearby
on the north bank of the river is Tipu's Draya Dault Bagh or Garden of the Wealth of the River' in the middle of which he constructed in 1874, an elegant summer palace which soon became his favorite place of retreat.
The building is an excellent specimen of Saracenic architecture, its walls embellished with paintings that were restored twice since they were first done. 3 km from Srirangapatna town is also located, Tipu Gumbaz, built
in a village called Ganjam for his father and in which his mother and he lie buried too.